Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Letterboxing -- Just learned about them and gonna try as soon as the rain stops!!


Letterboxing is an intriguing “treasure hunt” style outdoor activity. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places (like parks) and post clues to finding the box online on one of several Web sites. However, clues to finding some of the most highly-sought boxes are passed around by word of mouth. There are about 20,000 letterboxes hidden in North America alone. Individual letterboxes usually contain a log book, an often hand-carved rubber stamp and may contain an ink pad. Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp on their personal log book, and leave an imprint of their personal stamp on the letterbox's logbook .


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds interesting, kinda like geocaching, but no GPS is needed!!!!!  As soon as the rain stops I think I'm gonna go check it out. 

When I did a search at the letterboxers.com website the closest letterboxes listed were in Lake County almost an hour away. 

Then I looked up Letterboxers on my iPhone and found an app called 'BoxFinder' that connects to AtlasQuest.com another letterboxers site.  It showed a number of local letterboxes!!  By Golly I downloaded that app rite away -- it was only $1.99 (Guess I could have found the info if I had looked up atlasquest.com, but having it on the iPhone makes it really handy out in the field)


Now to get to work on a stamp repesenting me!!!!







No comments: