Friday, July 01, 2011

Combining three loves of my life into one adventure!!

First a newest love:

I headed into Hopland early in the afternoon to catch the four 'Letterboxes' that I found listed at atlasquest.com, A letterboxing community which is associated with letterboxing.org. I found that you can search for letterboxes at both sites, but that atlasquest.com which connects to letterboxing.org has more results!!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#3: Old River Osprey

Old River Osprey Stamp!

When I read the instructions on how to get to this 'Letterbox' I was pretty sure I knew just where it was. Upon arriving at the destination I was right!!!  I had been out here twice before!!  Last year I was led to this exact same outcropping of rocks to find a geocache!!  Then a few months ago as I was out geocaching again along this road to find the missed caches and get the new ones my GPS again brought me to this same outcropping of rocks.  I looked where I had found the previous cache -nada!!  Then read the logs and saw that it had gone MIA and that a brand new one had been placed here in a different spot!!  So I had to make the find for the second one too!

Now here I am yet again here for a "letterbox' Hmmm.  I followed the directions which led me directly to the hidden 'Letterbox'!  Can you believe it!!  There is, also, a geocache curently hidden in this outcropping of rocks too!  I wonder if the geocachers know about the 'Letterbox' and if the 'Letterboxers' know about the geocache!!  LOL



My siggy stamped in the 'Letterbox' logbook and the 'Letterbox' stamped in my logbook

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#4: Al's Box


Al's Box stamp


Next I headed out to the 'Hopland Cemetery'  where the next 'Letterbox' directions led me!!  And guess what?  Yes, there is a geocache here too - found it last year!!

Followed the directions which, again, led me right to the 'Letterbox'!!  Am doing much better today at actually reading and following the directions!!  Even on using the compass!!  LOL

Al's unique headstone and the 'Letterbox' atop it

After finding the 'Letterbox'which was completely saturated inside -- I laid the contents out in the sun to dry a bit and noticed a little observer nearby!!  He was pretty persistent wanting to check out what was in the 'Letterbox' too!!  Guess he wanted to see what had been living nearby his little haunt!


 I dried out the box and its contents as best as I could, the logbook was pretty damp on the outside, but inside OK!!  Put all backin the dried box and plan to send an email off to the owner about the situation!!

Two  for two -- I am so on a roll!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#5: Alien Avoidance
Alien Avoidance Stamp

letterbox in hiding - the can with it in it was up in the tube
 Next I headed out to the next listed 'Letterbox' out a ways on Highway 175 a few miles outside of Hopland.  Again!!  Another spot where there used to be a geocache, now deactivated!!!

The personwho created all of the 'Letterboxes' that I have found so far is very creative in his stories/decriptions/instructions!!!  This one is all about alien encounters!!!  Thus the boxname 'Alien Avoidance'.  Found quickly by following the instructions closely!!  Everything was nice and dry in this one!!

I am so stoked and on a roll!!  Three for three!!






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geocache # 390, #391, #392 & #394

Second love - geocaching!!!

Took a break as the last 'Letterbox' was in town very close to where I was headed for the evening -- or so the instructions stated!! 

I still had some time to kill so I headed out Mountain House Rd to catch the 4 fairly new geocaches not far out that way!!

All very easy caches either hanging in trees or near posts/trees hidden on the ground and not far from the road near turnouts!!  Found all 4 within an hour. 

BTW when I was at the Dam yesterday I looked for a geocache that was very near where I found the 'Manzanita Blossum Letterbox' but it looked like it was MIA as all I foud was a mutilated logbook near Ground Zero!!

Broke my stride with 'Letterbox' 4 for the day!!  I parked at SIP and grabbed my bag and walked the block to where the directions told me to go!!  I did get a little confused as to exactly where the planter was directing you to go at the end.  I looked around for a while, got a few questionable looks and decided to head on over to my 3rd love!!

Yep!!!  It was 'Thirsty Thursday' and tonight they were tasting different Sauvignon Blancs!!  Had a blast!!  Too bad I had to go alone tonight!!  But everyone else had other plans!!  Maybe next month for the Red, White and BBQ wines!!!

I emailed the owner of the 'Letterbox'that I was unableto find, he gave me a few hints, but coudn't be sure that the 'Letterbox'was still there and would check on it within the next few days!!

All in all a nice day!!!  At least, my legs didn't ache after this bout of 'Letterboxing'  Guess for the first day I picked a couple of far off the beaten path 'Letterboxes'!!!

Happy Geocaching and Letterboxing!! 

Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.


No comments: