Thursday, June 30, 2005

Autumn splendor Quilt


Autumn Splendor Quilt. A few years ago I belonged to a
group (still do for that matter) called Quilt Swap Challenge.
Every few months the list owner would host a quilt fabric
swap along with a Quilt Challenge. When you sent in your
fabrics to be swapped you also sent in a swatch of fabric for
the Quilt Challenge. This piece of fabric had to be used in
your quilt along with a piece of fabric that the list owner
sent back to you.

This is the only quilt that I have actually finished in time to
enter in one of the Quilt Challenges. The Challenge was very
interesting. You were send a quilt magazine with a specific page
marked (participants sent in the magazines to be used and
numbers were send in by the participants. Some used their
birthdates or anniversaries, or whatever they decided was a
good number for them.) You then had to find inspiration from
that page and make a quilt using the two swatches of fabric and
any others you chose.

The page that I had to use for inspiration contained an article
about a group of quilters that did a round robbin for Autumn.
So it was pretty easy to pick out a project. I adapted a pattern
from Laura Heine's pattern 'Turning over a new leaf' http://www.fiberworks-heine.com/patterns/turning_over_new_leaf/turning_new_leaf.html

For the Quilt Swap Challenge I won first place and received 2
Priority Mail Stamps. It was a proud accomplishment for me.

I held onto the quilt for a few years not knowing what to do with
it as it really doesn't match my decorating. I really liked the quilt,
but it just didn't match anything that I had. Last year I donated the
quilt to the GI Moms here in Ukiah to raffle off at our local 'Pumpkinfest'
in October. It helped to bring in donations to help our local Lake and
Mendocino County Soldiers.

They say every quilt has a story. I hear the lady that won the quilt
bought 40 or 50 dollars worth of raffle tickets. I'd say she really wanted
that quilt and deserved it too!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: