Monday, May 30, 2011

What I am Reading now - Update

Been a week or so since I've updated everyone on what I have been reading lately and yes, I have been reading.

Like I mentioned awhile back I got myself a new Kindle -- and I have downloaded quite a few of the classics that are on the '1001 books you have to read before you die list' -- when I was looking at the list I realized that there were quite a few books that I had read, but they were so long ago I couldn't remember really what the books were really about -- now do those books count?  I decided to reread a few of them!!

Started with "Alice in Wonderland' Was really surprised that a lot of what I thought happenend in this book really was in the second book 'Through the Looking Glass'. Guess I'll have to sit down and reread that one too very soon!!  I then went to netflix.com and watched all the actual movies they had that was based on the original book --- The latest one with Johnny Depp really doesn't count as it is really it's own story made up off the Alice in Wonderland character's!!  Plus I watched it a few weeks back at one of Trish's Girl get-togethers.  I did leave out the cartoon or animated movies though.

I then reread 'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte.  There are 7 different films through netflix.com of this book that I am slowly watching as they come in.  The first one was made in 1934 with the last in 1997.  It will be interesting to see the difference in the different era styles and the BBC makes versus the American makes. 








I then reread 'Sense and Sensibility' by Jane Austen.  The reason I chose to read this book next was that somehow I had one of the BBC made films sent to the top of my watchlist at netflix.com so instead of sending it back and requeueing it I decided toreread it and then watch the other two films listed.  Thus the reason why I have watched the films for this book and not 'Jane Eyre'.  There were three available films for this book, all BBC made.  The first two were not as good as the last one made in 1995.  I think the main reason I liked this one the best is that as I was rereading the books I kept imagining the characters as the actors who portrayed them from the 1995 film. Emma Thompson as Elenor, Kate Winslet as Mariann, Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon and Hugh Grant as Edward Ferrars.

In the mean time in actual book form I have also finished reading 'The Tale of Genji' by Lady Murasaki.  This is one of the books added into the list since the first edition was published.  I did find that there was a film entitled 'Great Tales in Asian Art' that had this tale in it.  Yep, it is in my queue. I was surprised that this book was not that hard to read.  Lots of times when you read a translation from the original language books do not seem to read as smoothly.  Although I kind of felt left up in the air by the end of it.

Getting away from the list/book '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die' I did read a book that a co-worker had loaned to me as she said it was a really good book.  After reading it, I too believe that it was a really good read!!  I tend to be interested in books about the women in the muslam world as my daughter spent a year over in Iraq in 2003.  The book that Diane loaned me was called 'The Dressmaker of Khair Khana'. 
The life Kamila Sidiqi had known changed overnight when the Taliban seized control of the city of Kabul. After receiving a teaching degree during the civil war—a rare achievement for any Afghan woman—Kamila was subsequently banned from school and confined to her home. When her father and brother were forced to flee the city, Kamila became the sole breadwinner for her five siblings. Armed only with grit and determination, she picked up a needle and thread and created a thriving business of her own.






No comments: